Questions and discussions related to cross-stitching. Want to know how to get creases out of fabric? This is where to ask. To locate past posts on a specific topic, simply enter the word or words in the field below and click the Search button.
Note any discussions regarding the distribution of copywritten materials will be removed. Advertisements, sales-related, trade, swap, blogs, other groups, or other photo site link postings will be removed also. No cross posts allowed.
Tracing For Cross-Stitch
Tue, Apr 23, 2019 10:50 AM
Posted by Geo
I have a photograph that I would like to trace to a cross-stitch. I tried scanning through some of the software that lets you convert a photo to cross-stitch but but it's really just some basic elements that I want to get from the photo, and what I end up with from the scan is just too complex. So, I thought tracing it would be easier. And, actually, the person in the middle that I want to capture was photographed in a way that I don't think it would be that hard to trace.

I cannot draw freehand, by the way, so that's out. If I could draw, I wouldn't need the photo, to begin with.

Anyway, I was looking at various products that sounds like they would help make this easier and can't figure out how to accomplish this. I tried writing to some of the companies that have dissolving products and wasn't able to get responses that helped me understand how to do this.

Here's what I think I would do:
1) Basically, I want to trace something. I need a product that is sheer-enough that I can draw on it.
2) But then, if the product dissolves, what should I be using to do the tracing? If I use a regular pen or pencil and the product dissolves, then doesn't the ink or graphite get into my material?
3) I'm going to stitch on something like 14-count Aida. I don't think I want a product that provides a grid on it because I would then have to match the two grids. But, then, what else is available that is sheer-enough and can be possibly pinned or adhered to the fabric and fairly easily sewn through? (sheer-enough not just to see the photograph underneath but also the holes of whatever even weave cloth I use)

Any suggestions?